Submissions ARE open
March 5 - March 31 for Issue #6
(All FANTASY ISSUE)
All submissions should follow proper manuscript format. Please attach all submissions in .doc format—we will not accept submissions embedded in the body of email.
PAYMENT & RIGHTS
We CURRENTLY pay $50 per short story and $25 for non-fiction.
In 2017 we are establishing a Patreon in order to start paying our authors $0.03 - .08cents/word for original fiction up to 6,000 words on publication for First World Rights.
Authors will also receive a free print and eBook copy of the anthology in which their story appears.
Black Girl Magic accepts first world eBook and print rights, and non-exclusive anthology rights for Black Girl Magic’s biannual anthologies. We also accept non-exclusive online rights to publish and archive your story on our website.
GUIDELINES FOR FICTION
Black Girl Magic is an online magazine published quarterly. We are seeking speculative fiction between 1,000 – 6,000 words.
We are looking for works about and by Black Women. We accept works from others/allies as long as the main character is a Black Female.
Pay rate: CURRENTLY $50/story *we hope to pay professional rates soon! ($.08/word)*
Word limit: 1000-6000 (FIRM) or 250 -500 for our Flash Fiction issues.
Stories must combine an aspect of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Magical Realism, Surrealism, or Horror with a Black Female Main Character.
Multiple submissions: Maximum of two (2) per month (Please submit separately!)
No simultaneous submissions.
We strongly encourage submissions from writers who identify as people of color, women, members of the QUILTBAG* community, and others who are under-represented in Speculative Fiction.
* QUILTBAG is an acronym. It stands for Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Transgender/Transsexual, Bisexual, Asexual/Aromantic/Agender, Gay/Genderqueer.
What we publish:
- Mainstream fiction with elements of the fantastic mixed in
- Dark fantasy / science fiction
- Magic realism (“a literary genre or style that incorporates fantastic or mythical elements into otherwise realistic fiction—called also magical realism”)
- Surrealism: (“the principles, ideals, or practice of producing fantastic or incongruous imagery or effects in art, literature, film, or theater by means of unnatural or irrational juxtapositions and combinations”)
Don’t be afraid to experiment or to deviate from the ordinary.
What We DON'T PUBLISH:
We are not a market for graphic, violent horror. The “horror” should be subtle and fall in with one or more of the themes above.
- Gratuitous/Violent Horror
- Weak women being rescued by "Alpha Males"
- Arthurian retellings
- Eurocentric faeries/fairytales
- "White Saviors"
- "Women in Refrigerators"
Black Girl Magic Magazine reserves one slot each month for an author who has never had a professional-rate sale* before. This is to ensure that Black Girl Magic Magazine will always be a welcoming and open market to new/un-established authors.
In addition to publication, an author selected for our New Author Spotlight will be interviewed by Black Girl Magic, with the interview featured on our website & in the magazine.
If you’re eligible for our New Author Spotlight, please check “Yes” on the submission form.
NOTE: The New Author Spotlight doesn’t mean we ONLY publish one story from a new author each month – we’re happy to fill an entire issue with new authors. The Spotlight guarantees that un-established authors are never excluded from Black Girls are Magic Magazine.
* “Professional” refers to any short fiction or poetry sale which paid at least 5¢ per word, or any novel sale which paid at least $2,000.
We will not be accepting unsolicited fiction reprints.
Response times will vary depending on volume, but may average two weeks. Query after one month (include title and date submitted).
Submit an inquiry along with samples (preferably a link to an online gallery. Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We purchase pre-existing pieces of art and rarely commission original art for covers.